Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Reflecting on the Past Eight Weeks

Well, I have to say I honestly cannot believe how quickly this summer has flown by - and I also must say that I have loved every second of it. Through this experience, I have been challenged to grow in ways that I cannot even explain, to push myself to become innovative, and to take initiative to change things for the better. In retrospect, this was not simply an opportunity to better this community; it was an opportunity to grow up.

My service itself was both challenging and fascinating, but always enjoyable. I feel relieved to say that I achieved everything I set out to do, and I even had time to push myself a little further. Sure, I had some hopes and ideas that fell through over the course of my service, but I can honestly say that they didn't fail for lack of effort, and that's at least a somewhat satisfying fact.

Here's a little overview of the work that Heather and I did this summer, from an article on the Marietta College website:

http://news2.marietta.edu/node/1366

However, I am not walking away from this summer with just my experiences at Ely Chapman. I am also leaving with beautiful experiences in this community. I will never forget the people that I've come to know and work with and live with this summer. They've taught me more than they'll ever know, and helped me to better understand myself, even. I am so grateful that I have another three years ahead of me in this town - I'm not ready to say goodbye just yet.

To all of you - thanks for journeying with me this summer. Thank you for your guidance and advice and support, and for keeping us updated on your work and experiences. I wish you all the best, and hope that your work has opened doors both for your community and for you personally.

-Sydney

No comments:

Post a Comment