Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Bio for Catherine Distelrath


I just finished my junior year at John Carroll University, and I am double majoring in Psychology and Sociology.  After I graduate next year, I plan to either do a year of service or go straight to graduate school to get master’s degrees in social work and public health.  I am very excited about this eight week opportunity to help better my community and learn as much as possible about food security issues in Cleveland and the surrounding area.  
Goals for the summer:
1.      Coordinate and oversee volunteers for the current John Carroll University community garden and make sure it remains in good shape throughout the summer so we may yield as much produce as possible for the Heights Emergency Food Center.

2.      Take initial steps to increase the number of community gardens in the city of Cleveland.  This will include communicating with peopple in the city and the surrounding areas who already have community gardens, or who have the potential land to support a community garden, to explore what needs to be done in order to either expand existing gardens or develop new gardens.  It will also include developing a plan for where various gardens can be placed throughout the city and which community members will be willing and able to care for the gardens.

3.     Research which schools within the Cleveland Metropolitan School District currently have gardens on site and which schools have the potential land to develop a garden.  Placing more community gardens on school sites will allow students access to healthier lunches every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment