The most poignant part of this movie for me featured a tour through the grocery store. I have been out West and seen plenty of farms, but the familiar site of a small grocery store hit close to home. I always thought of high fructose corn syrup with a negative connotation, but I also associated it strictly with "sweet" tasting foods like Gushers and pop. After watching this movie, I went through my kitchen and found that my ketchup, yogurt, and ice cream contained the substance. Stopping the cycle will be difficult, but I agree with a previous post that states that documentaries such as these are a place to start. The question is, where do we go from here? I would like to benefit future generations by developing a solution, but developing such solutions often requires a large amount of financial resources, cooperation, time, and the ability to actively consider the impact of new plans on future generations.
Sorry for the tangent, but in reference to the ethanol production article...I don't quite understand the concept behind subsidies or their impact in the social arena. If someone wouldn't mind explaining this (I Google searched this but didn't understand the lingo), it would be appreciated!
No comments:
Post a Comment