Sunday, July 10, 2011

King Corn

King Corn was something I decided to watch after our conversations at the orientation and it was quite an eye opener as everyone has already pointed out. Growing up in rural area where I was surrounded by farming I was familiar with the process of growing and selling corn and soy beans and the subsidies that exist but I didn't know to what extent the film uncovers. I have also had somewhat of an idea that a majority of processed food contains fructose corn syrup or some product of corn but it is often easy to ignore the truth when you don't have all the facts but movies like King Corn are becoming more prominent and harder to plead ignorance. Today we are faced with ever growing food dessert locations like the site that I am currently working at. I am working on developing a community sustained garden that provides fresh produce that isn't available to the neighborhood otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment