Tuesday, July 26, 2011

response to this week's article

I did not find this article, "New Study Says, "Food Deserts" Only Part of the Problem" to be particularly well written or insightful. I was puzzled by the fact that the author, Cathryn Wellner, neglects to state the name of the study or give any bibliographic information about the source she heavily relies on. I did not appreciate the generalizations she used like, “Those of us who have worked in food policy..” There are many people who work in food policy and they have many different perspectives on the issues involved. Similarly, people who choose not to eat processed food or do so for other reasons may take issue with being lumped into the simplistic statement, “However, we eat them anyways because they are convenient and taste good and because they have been so effectively marketed they are part of our social fabric.” Later, she offers making healthy food cheaper as a solution, even though she only sited convenience, taste, and marketing as reasons for food choices.

I would like to read more about this study. It seems like a huge undertaking to track the diets of people for 15 whole years and I am interested in the logistics of how the data was collected. Did any of the participants live in food desserts that showed an increase in fresh whole foods during the span of the study? Who were the controls? Were they eating unhealthy food near their homes or near the places that they worked? What was their income level?

No comments:

Post a Comment