Friday, July 29, 2011

Empower

Improving health and wellness through nutrition education is needed in addition to creating greater access to nutritious, affordable foods. Accessibility alone does not empower healthy decisions.

1 comment:

  1. Once again, I can't publish my own post for some reason, so I am commenting on this one instead.

    It is disheartening how much our food system has changed in the last 40 years. It has become a system based more on producing money than on producing healthy food for people. There is also a debate about whether buying local or buying organic is better. I am not completely sure about it, but I think that buying local is usually the better bet (especially if the organic food is coming from far away). Usually, when you buy locally, the food is coming from a smaller farm run by farmers who are more concerned about the quality of the food they produce rather than the quantity. This means that even if it isn't certified organic, it is probably not doused with pesticides and genetically modified. It is important to remember that sometimes, even if a farm isn't certified organic, they may still use very few pesticides (or none at all) and they just can't afford to go through the process of getting certified.

    ReplyDelete